I enjoy making fish cutlets even though it is a bit tedious with many steps involved in the preparation. The end results are very satisfying and so the effort is really worth it. This is an awesome appetizer for guests at family get-togethers , potluck etc. I used fresh king fish steak for this recipe. You can substitute with salmon or canned tuna and get the same great results as well ..
Spicy Fish Cutlet
A spicy and delicious appetizer based on Indian cuisine and perfect for parties and potlucks.
To make home-made garam masala :’Garam Masala’ is a blend of ground spices. Heat a pan and dry roast and powder cinnamon, clove, bay leaf, cumin, cardamom in equal proportions after it is cooled and store in an air tight container.
- 2 steaks of Kingfish
- 1 tsp ginger and garlic crushed
- 2-3 Thai green chillies
- 1 tsp Black pepper crushed
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 egg white beaten with salt and pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- salt to taste
- oil for shallow or deep fry
- 1/2 tsp ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 boiled potato medium sized mashed
- 1/2 onion finely cut
- 1/4 tsp garam masala (store bought or homemade)
- salt to taste
- Clean the fish steaks with lemon and salt.
- In a small saucepan, pour water just enough water to boil the fish and boil it with all the ingredients in the ‘For Boiling’ section.
- Cook until the fish is done , cool and de-bone the fish.
- Next, heat a pan with 2 tsp oil and add chopped onion and sautée it.
- Add the boiled fish and mashed potato into it.
- Add spice mix (garam masala), minced chillies, ginger ,garlic and mix it well for couple of minutes and switch off the heat and cool it.
- Once cool ,make round balls and flatten to make a small patty.
- Dip the flattened patties in the beaten egg and coat with with bread crumbs and keep aside.
- These patties can be deep fried or shallow fried on both sides till you get a golden brown color.
- Enjoy the spicy Fish cutlet with some tomato ketchup!