Dry Green Peas is a dried lentil , the Indian name is ‘vatana’ . There is also a white version of the dried lentil.This is a very simple, quick and easy recipe to make if you do not forget to soak the dried peas in water overnight or 5 to 6 hours in advance .I directly fry all the ingredients in the pressure cooker ,add water and cook it which saves time and an extra pan to wash:). The other variation can be to pressure cook the peas separately ,use another pan for the seasonings and then mix them both together.This goes well with roti or rice and tastes really awesome! Here’s my version of the recipe :
Green Peas Curry
A tasty curry made with soaked dried green peas and spices based on Indian cuisine and goes well with rotis indian bread or rice
Green Peas has to be soaked overnight or for about 4 to 6 hours in advance before it can be cooked.Some varieties of green peas cook very quickly and may be cooked with one whistle of the pressure cooker, others may need 3 or more .
- 1 medium sized onion cut finely
- 1 big ripe tomatoes diced
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chillies cut
- 1/2 bunch of coriander leaves finely cut
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red chilly powder
- 2-3 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 inch cinnamon
- 3 -4 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- Take a pressure cooker and heat 3 to 4 tsp oil .
- Add the cumin seeds,cloves and cinnamon when hot.
- Next add onion and ginger garlic paste.
- sautée for a few minutes and add the diced tomatoes till oil leaves the sides of the pressure cooker.
- Next add all the spiced powders and take care to reduce the flame to avoid burning.
- Add salt to taste and the soaked green peas .Fry for two more minutes.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water and close the pressure cooker lid and wait for a whistle.
- Once the steam is released, adjust the water to the consistency you like and add garam masala powder.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- The dish is now ready to be served.Enjoy!