I got introduced to Moth bean(matki) from one of my good friend from Pune here in the US. It is basically a kind of lentil .She introduced me to the sprouted version and it was so yummy and healthy that I took an instant liking to it. I do sprout it once in a while and sautée it with onions , green chillies and a little bit of spice and salt. It is loaded with nutrients like protein, potassium, iron, magnesium and all the good stuff.However, if you forget to sprout the beans or don’t have enough time to wait till it sprouts ..No worries! you can pressure cook it after soaking it in water for about 5 to 6 hours or overnight . My version of the recipe for the soaked bean is very simple, just sautée all the ingredients in a pressure cooker, add the spices and salt and pressure cook for about 3 whistles .The flavor of the moth is so delicious that it is impossible to resist a second helping ! The details of the recipe are below .Hope you like it!
Moth Bean Lentils (Matki or Moth dal)
A delicious and healthy lentil gravy based on Indian cuisine and loaded with nutrients.
- 2 cups of moth dal soaked overnight
- 1/2 an onion
- 1/2 tomato diced
- 3 to 4 green chillies
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilly powder
- 2 tsp Corainder powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- salt to taste
- 3- 4 tsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker .
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida to the heated oil.
- Add the diced onions , green chillies and sautée for about 5 mins
- Add ginger garlic paste and sautée again for couple more mins
- Next add tomatoes and sautée till the oil leaves the sides of the cooker
- Lastly add all the spices sautée again ,add water and salt
- Pressure cook for about 3 whistles or till done
- Garnish with finely cut onions and coriander leaves. The dal is ready!
- Serve it with rice or chapatis (wheat bread)