Mom's mutton Biriyani
A very popular , aromatic ,layered rice dish with mutton or lamb based on Indian cuisine
Its preferable to use Basmati rice although other varieties of raw rice can be used .It is preferred to liberally use ghee for biryani to get the authentic taste (although I use a combination of ghee and oil ).Feel free to adjust the quantities and spices to your liking.
- 4 cups Basmati Rice
- 4 teaspoon ghee or Clarified Butter
- 4 tsp oil
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 5-6 cardamoms
- 1/2 an onion diced
- salt per taste
- 5 cups Water
For Meat marination
- 11/2 pounds mutton
- 3 cups of yogurt
- 3 medium tomatoes diced
- 3 -4 mint leaves chopped
- 5 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chilly powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Biryani Masala (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- salt to taste
To grind for marinade
- 1 inch ginger
- 10-12 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 4 green chillies
- 1 inch of cinnamon
- 4-5 cloves
For Meat Preparation
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 onion cut into long thin stripes
- 10 cashews
- 10 raisins
- ghee for frying
- 1 sprig of mint leaves
- coriander leaves chopped
- Wash the meat thoroughly with salt and lemon and drain water completely
- Grind the ingredients in the “to grind for marinade” section with minimum water to get a green paste
- Add the yogurt, tomatoes, green paste,mint leaves and the spice powders in the “for meat marination” section to the meat
- Mix well and Marinate for about 2 to 3 hours in a referigrator
Rice Preparation and garnishes
- Wash the rice, drain and keep aside
- Heat a thick bottomed pan , add the ghee and oil
- Add the thin sliced onions and fry until crisp golden brown
- Drain and keep aside.
- Add the cashews and raisins ,brown it as well
- Drain and keep aside.
- The thin fried onions, cashews and raisins will be used for garnishing.
- In the remaining ghee and oil, add the spices under the “For rice” section
- Next add the diced onions and sautée
- After 2 mins add the washed rice
- Fry for about 5 to 7 mins until the rice turns opaque
- Add the salt and water and cook until done in a rice cooker
- Wait for the steam to be released and rice to be cooled.
- Next for the preparation of the meat , take ghee and oil in the pressure cooker
- Add onions and sautée it for 10 mins
- Add tomatoes and ginger garlic paste ,sautée for another 5 mins
- Next add the marinated meat and fry it for a while
- Pressure cook for about 4 or 5 whistles (depending on the meat) until the meat is cooked.
- Once steam is released, check that the meat is cooked well .If the gravy is runny , heat and reduce until you get a thick gravy
- Add some chopped coriander leaves and squeeze a little lemon.
Layering biryani and garnishing
- Next process is layering of the biryani, transfer the cooked rice into a serving bowl and garnish with fried onions,cashews ,raisins,chopped mint and coriander leaves
- Then add a layer of the meat gravy and repeat layering with rice, meat and again layer with garnish onions , nuts ,raisins, mint and coriander leaves.
- Gently mix so the gravy is evenly mixed into the rice.
- Squeeze half a lemon if you like (optional).
- Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves and the remaining garnishes.
- Mutton Biryani is finally ready !!
- Serve with Papad (rice fritters), fried shrimp /fish or salad , Enjoy!