Palak Paneer (Cheese in Spinach gravy) is a favorite dish at my home and it is such a hearty and healthy dish . It was never made at home when I was growing up although we made other dishes using spinach . I started making this dish a few years back after I got the recipe from an acquaintance .My kids loved it, as it had their all time favorite paneer(Indian cheese or farmers cheese) and the best way to get them to have spinach as well . Since then, I make it very often knowing that it is healthy ! The preparation is very simple ,boil the spinach and tomatoes with other ingredients in water and grind it to a paste , temper with oil and finally add cheese .The detailed steps are below .Hope you enjoy making and relishing it as much !
Palak Paneer (Cheese in Spinach Gravy)
A delicious gravy made with spinach, tomatoes and cheese based on Indian cuisine perfect for dinner with wheat bread or rice
- 2 bunches of spinach
- 1 big tomato
- ½ an onion
- 3 pods of garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 2-3 green chillies (add more to increase spice level)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 3-4 tsp oil or ghee(clarified butter)
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilly powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp fresh cream(optional)
- Take a pan, add about a cup of water
- Add the spinach, tomatoes, onions, green chillies, garlic and ginger to it .Boil it with the lid closed for about 10 to 15 mins or until the contents are cooked well
- Cool it and grind it to a smooth paste in a blender
- Next in a deep bottomed pan , heat oil or ghee and add the cumin seeds
- Add a pinch of asafoetida, reduce the flame and add all the spice powders
- To this add the spinach paste and cook for about 3 to 4 mins
- Add salt. Add water to adjust and get the desired consistency
- Finally , add the cubed paneer (farmers cheese) and simmer till the cheese is mildly soft .Switch off the flame. That is it!!
- If you are using fresh cream you can add it in the end to get a rich flavor.This is optional.
- Serve with rice or wheat bread. Enjoy 🙂
Liz | Bubble Tea For Dinner
Palak paneer is one of my favourite curries.. I used to make paneer dishes with tofu when I was vegan, but after trying the real I know there's no comparison. Your version looks like a very good recipe!
Sorry for the late reply, somehow your message went to my spam folder. Thank you for the comment, you are absolutely right, the Paneer has a totally different taste and texture!
one of my favs! 🙂
Mine too 🙂 Thanks !
Thank you so much!