The simple cabbage coconut stir-fry also called ‘cabbage thoran’ in Kerala just needs a handful of ingredients – onions, green chillies ,ginger and shredded coconut for preparation and it is a very quick and easy dish to make. This is a dish that is normally prepared in almost every household in India with probably a slight variation in the spices and ingredients. ‘Thoran’ is also part of the ‘sadhya’ – a meal during festivals like ‘Vishu’ and ‘Onam’ in Kerala which I will elaborate in another post and can be made with other vegetables like long beans, green beans and the like .It goes well with rice and rotis as well .
Cabbage Thoran(stir fried cabbage with coconut)
A delicious stir fry vegetarian dish made with cabbage and shredded coconut, recipe based on Indian cuisine and perfectly goes with rice or rotis .
Shred cabbage finely either lengthwise or into very small pieces to enhance the taste of the dish.
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 cabbage finely shred
- 3 – 4 Thai green chillies
- 1 inch ginger finely cut
- 3/4 cup of shredded coconut(fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal seeds (split white lentils)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4-5 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan , add mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter
- Add urad dal (split white lentils) and wait till it browns
- Add onions, green chillies, coconut and sautée it for a while
- Next add the shredded coconut ,turmeric powder and sautée again
- Finally add the cabbage and salt and keep frying till it wilts a little
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes
- Keep checking from time to time and make sure not to overcook it
- Finally add the curry leaves and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Switch off flame , cabbage stir fry is ready to be served !