Pav Bhaji is an awesome fast food or street food loved by one and all. It is basically spicy mixed vegetables cooked in tomato gravy normally eaten with pav or soft bread roll (bun). You can use any veggies for this dish. However, carrot, potatoes, cauliflower, peas, and green bell peppers are usually the most popular ones used! The special pav bhaji masala gives a unique taste to this dish. I usually buy it from the Indian grocery store. The veggies are all pressure cooked and mashed and then added to fried onions, tomatoes, and bell pepper along with the spices to form a gravy-like consistency. I usually use the store-bought pav or bun which is shallow fried with butter. The recipe details are below.
Pav Bhaji - Street Food
Spicy Mixed vegetables and Bun with an unique flavor , originally from Mumbai and an awesome and delicious fast food.
- 3 boiled potatoes
- 3 green chilies
- 2 carrots
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 bell pepper or capsicum (must have)
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup cut cauliflower (optional)
- 4 tsp Pav Bhaji masala
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilly powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a bunch of chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- Pressure cook all the veggies except bell pepper(capsicum), onion, and tomatoes
- Once cooked mash it into a smooth paste
- In a pan heat oil or butter, splutter cumin seeds
- Add diced onions, green chilies, and sautée well
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sautée again
- Add tomatoes and keep cooking till the oil leaves the sides of the pan
- Add in all the spice powders - turmeric, chilly powder, pav bhaji masala, and salt
- Next add the bell pepper(capsicum), once it wilts add the mashed veggies
- Add garam masala in the end
- Add water to get a consistency that is gravy-like so you can scoop it using the bun
- squeeze lemon juice into the dish
- Garnish with chopped coriander, onions, and butter
- Scoop some bhaji(gravy) with a piece of pav(bun) and Enjoy!
Can have this every day! Looking yummy!
Isn't it , totally agree can have it anytime! I could only get a pic using my phone this time 🙂 Thanks Mallika!
If the food is this good, then it doesn't matter if it's camera or the phone that's capturing it. Now I am craving it! 😉
yes so true, hope you get to make it soon too!
Yummy! It is my favorite, thanks for sharing!!
Thanks Megala ! its a favorite at my home too 🙂
Delicious....Pav Bhaji reminds me of home!
Aww, how nice ..Thank you Pia ! perfect for a Friday night at home 🙂
Hmmmm yummy. My tongue is drooling
Thank you Deepa!
Looking very delicious...awesome recipe !!
Thank you Anshu!
Thank you so much!
It looks like that, you know where I can buy it in Mexico