Vegetable Biryani is a delicious dish made with rice and vegetables. It is easy to make and tastes awesome. Any vegetable can be added to this dish. I have mainly used carrots, beans,potatoes and peas. In my preparation, I cook the rice and vegetables separately and then layer them in a serving dish and then gently mix it up.
A delicious dish with layers of rice and vegetables ,recipe based on Indian cuisine and perfectly goes with any entree or side dish
- 2 cups of Basmati Rice
- 4 teaspoon ghee or Clarified Butter
- 4 tsp oil
- 3-4 cloves
- 1/2 inch stick of cinnamon
- 1 star-anise
- 5-6 cardamoms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion diced
- salt per taste
- Water 3 cups
- 2 cups vegetables diced (potatoes, carrot, beans,peas)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 green chillies
- 1 tsp Biryani masala (optional)
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 bunch chopped coriander and mint leaves
- 1 lemon
- Wash the rice, drain, and keep aside.
- Heat half the quantity of ghee and oil mentioned in the ingredients section in a pan.
- Add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, star anise, and bay leaves.
- Next add the washed rice, fry for about 10 minutes till the rice is opaque.
- Add salt and 3 cups of water and cook it in a rice cooker until done.
- In the same pan, add the remaining ghee and oil, diced onions, and sautée it
- Add ginger-garlic paste, slit green chillies and sautée again
- Add the biryani masala, coriander powder, garam masala, and salt to taste
- Add vegetables, mix well and cook covered till it is done.
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves and mix well.
- Layer the rice and vegetables in a serving dish with one layer of rice followed by vegetable and repeat. Gently mix well.
- Squeeze some lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- You can also garnish with fried onions if you like.
- Serve with yogurt, salad, pickle, and papad (fritters). Enjoy!