Vanilla Sponge Cake or Hot Milk cake is an old-fashioned, traditional cake that has a very homely taste and perfectly goes well with your evening tea or makes a great dessert after dinner, served with whipped cream and strawberries.I got the recipe from a good friend and was so thrilled when it came out well, the first time I tried it! The joys of baking a delicious cake are really special and out of the world. I have ever since used this recipe. This is a great cake if you are new to baking and a perfect one to start with. It tastes so delicious, dense, and soft. The details of the recipe are below, read on.
Simple Vanilla Sponge Cake
A delicious old fashioned , traditional Vanilla Sponge cake which tastes awesome .
*The original recipe requires eggs to be warmed up in a bowl over a boiling pan of water until it is lightly heated up, taking care not to curdle and this process takes about 5 minutes.I skipped this step and just kept the eggs at room temperature for a while and directly beat it in a bowl using the mixer.
*I also used granulated sugar which I powdered to make it finer so that it is easier to mix it into the egg.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 11/4 cups 2% milk
- 10 tablespoons( 1 and ¼ sticks) of butter or ½ cup oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F
- Line and grease two 8 inch round pan with butter and dust with all-purpose flour.
- In a bowl combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt and mix it with a whisk and keep aside.
- Powder the granulated sugar and keep it aside.
- Using a hand or electric mixer beat the eggs at high speed till it gets a yellow lemon color and this takes about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the powdered sugar gradually and beat till it is light and fluffy for about 3 to 4 minutes, the volume of the mixture should double up.
- On lifting and pouring from the whisk the batter should fall in a ribbon shape.
- Beat in Vanilla to the batter.
- Next add the flour gradually or in 3 additions, beating at low speed just until it is smooth.
- In a saucepan, heat milk and add butter just until the butter melts.
- Add the milk into the batter gradually just until combined, take care not to overbeat!
- Pour the batter into both the pans, dividing it equally.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and later on a cooling rack until cooled.
- Slice it up and serve topped with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. It tastes out of the world! Enjoy 🙂