Vanilla Sponge Cake or Hot Milk cake is an old-fashioned, traditional cake that has a very homely taste and perfectly goes well with your evening tea or makes a great dessert after dinner, served with whipped cream and strawberries.I got the recipe from a good friend and was so thrilled when it came out well, the first time I tried it! The joys of baking a delicious cake are really special and out of the world. I have ever since used this recipe. This is a great cake if you are new to baking and a perfect one to start with. It tastes so delicious, dense, and soft. The details of the recipe are below, read on.
Simple Vanilla Sponge Cake
A delicious old fashioned , traditional Vanilla Sponge cake which tastes awesome .
*The original recipe requires eggs to be warmed up in a bowl over a boiling pan of water until it is lightly heated up, taking care not to curdle and this process takes about 5 minutes.I skipped this step and just kept the eggs at room temperature for a while and directly beat it in a bowl using the mixer.
*I also used granulated sugar which I powdered to make it finer so that it is easier to mix it into the egg.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 11/4 cups 2% milk
- 10 tablespoons( 1 and ¼ sticks) of butter or ½ cup oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F
- Line and grease two 8 inch round pan with butter and dust with all-purpose flour.
- In a bowl combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt and mix it with a whisk and keep aside.
- Powder the granulated sugar and keep it aside.
- Using a hand or electric mixer beat the eggs at high speed till it gets a yellow lemon color and this takes about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the powdered sugar gradually and beat till it is light and fluffy for about 3 to 4 minutes, the volume of the mixture should double up.
- On lifting and pouring from the whisk the batter should fall in a ribbon shape.
- Beat in Vanilla to the batter.
- Next add the flour gradually or in 3 additions, beating at low speed just until it is smooth.
- In a saucepan, heat milk and add butter just until the butter melts.
- Add the milk into the batter gradually just until combined, take care not to overbeat!
- Pour the batter into both the pans, dividing it equally.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and later on a cooling rack until cooled.
- Slice it up and serve topped with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. It tastes out of the world! Enjoy 🙂
Simple & perfect 😀
Thank you Lavs! yes it’s very simple indeed and turned out perfect:)
Cook with Smile..
Cake looks awesome..so spongy
Thank you so much Lathiya!
Super soft & spongy cake, I just love it!
Thanks much Megala!
Awesome recipe and fabulous pictures...Liked it a lot !!
Thank you so much Anshu!
spongy cake. yummy
Thank you Deepa!
Yummyyyy 😋. I love sponge cakes. This looks great 👍☺️
Thank you Priya!
I love recipes like this one because you can use it for so much. A good foundation is worth a heck of a lot when it comes to making a delicious cake. Loving the simplicity of this recipe, less is definitely more in most cases. Go sponge cakes!
Would you be interested in sharing recipes with our community of passionate foodies? We’re always on the lookout for fun, new and delicious recipes like this one. You can find us right over here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OnlyGoodEats and on Instagram @Creatorsdotco (where we share creations from the Good Eats community!)
Thank you so much , appreciate it !! I agree a good foundation is indeed very important and the various delicacies and possibilities from one are many. Sure I would love to share recipes to the group and will definitely check it out. Thank again for stopping by !
My pleasure! Exactly, I mean a cake can look fantastic but if the sponge is so-so it would be such a shame. Fantastic, hope to see you there soon!
I did post this on FB page of goodeats as well. Thanks again!
Simple, light and tasty! 🙂
Thank you so much chefkreso!
Lovely and so spongy 😊
Thank you so much Sangita!
Deepa Binu Jacob
Thank you so much Deepa!
Tried this absolutely delicious cake and loved it so much. Simple, non-intimidating easy to follow recipe.. <3
LOL non-intimidating indeed and me too love it for its awesome taste 🙂 Thanks Deepa!
Lace n Plaid
I have been looking for recipe for this cake! I used to have it as a little girl. Thank you!
Aww so nice to hear that . Thank you so much , it is definitely very spongy and has that awesome traditional taste and is my favorite ☺️
Nice one! I have never made a sponge cake. Thanks!