A popular , healthy , nutritious and delicious dish made with garbanzo beans in a tomato onion gravy , based on the north Indian cuisine and perfectly goes with wheat bread or rice
- 2 cups of dry garbanzo soaked for 10 -12 hours
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 1/2 tsp anardana powder (pomegranate seeds powdered)
To dry roast and powder
- 3-4 cloves
- 1/2 inch stick of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 tsp cumin
- Soak the garbanzo beans overnight in a big bowl of water.
- Wash it and pressure cook for about 20 -25 minutes or for about 5-6 whistles.
- Grind the onion and tomatoes to a fine paste with minimum water.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan , add the ghee /oil.
- Add cumin seeds
- Add the tomato onion paste.
- Next add the ginger garlic paste.
- Sautée and cook until oil oozes out and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the turmeric,chilly,coriander, amchur and anardana powder.
- Add the dry roasted powder (garam masala) and the cooked garbanzo.
- Mix well and add salt to taste.
- Add water to get the desired consistency.
- Mash some beans to get a thicker gravy.
- Boil for another few minutes.
- Squeeze half a lemon into it.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and chopped onions.
- Serve with wheat bread or rice , Enjoy!