Chana Masala Gravy (ChickPeas or Garbanzo beans in onion tomato gravy) is a healthy, nutritious, power packed protein rich dish which is also very delicious .It is also known by other names like ‘Chole Masala’ or ‘Punjabi Chole masala’.
Its preferable to use dry garbanzo pre-soaked for 10 -12 hours or overnight, one can also use the canned beans. Tea bags can be added in the water used to soak the beans to get a dark color , but is optional and I skipped that in my preparation.
- 2 cups of dry garbanzo soaked for 10 -12 hours
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 1/2 tsp anardana powder (pomegranate seeds powdered)
To dry roast and powder
- 3-4 cloves
- 1/2 inch stick of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 tsp cumin
- Soak the garbanzo beans overnight in a big bowl of water.
- Wash it and pressure cook for about 20 -25 minutes or for about 5-6 whistles.
- Grind the onion and tomatoes to a fine paste with minimum water.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan , add the ghee /oil.
- Add cumin seeds
- Add the tomato onion paste.
- Next add the ginger garlic paste.
- Sautée and cook until oil oozes out and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the turmeric,chilly,coriander, amchur and anardana powder.
- Add the dry roasted powder (garam masala) and the cooked garbanzo.
- Mix well and add salt to taste.
- Add water to get the desired consistency.
- Mash some beans to get a thicker gravy.
- Boil for another few minutes.
- Squeeze half a lemon into it.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and chopped onions.
- Serve with wheat bread or rice , Enjoy!