This colorful and yummy dish made with beets and yogurt is yet another part of the delicious sadya .This dish is also very healthy and a smart way to get picky kids to eat beets, which is a rich and nutritious vegetable. It needs very few ingredients and is very easy to make.
Beetroot kichadi or Grated beets in yogurt gravy
A traditional and delicious dish made with grated beets and yogurt usually made on festivals and goes well with rice and traditional sadya.
Make sure to cool the cooked beetroot before adding the yogurt to avoid curdling.
- 2 beets grated
- 3 green chillies finely cut
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 5 cups beaten yogurt
- salt to taste
- Take a deep bottomed pan and heat about 3-4 tsp oil.
- Splutter mustard seeds and add the grated beets and green chillies.
- Sautée for a while.
- Let it cook for a few minutes in the steam by closing the lid and reducing the flame .
- When it is half-cooked , add salt and curry leaves.
- Fry for 2 more minutes and switch off flame and wait for the beets to cool.
- Meanwhile beat the yogurt to a smooth fluid form.
- Add a little water to adjust consistency.
- Add the cooked and cooled beets to the yogurt and mix it well.
- Enjoy this dish with rice or rotis (wheat bread).