We got so many tomatoes this summer from our kitchen garden and I have ever since been trying to make anything that calls for tomatoes in recipes.Picking fresh organic tomatoes from the garden is truly a great feeling ,love the smell of fresh tomatoes .It has been over a month since I bought tomatoes from the grocery store !After cooking many recipes of tomato soups and salads ,decided to make shrimp curry with tomatoes and since my mom is visiting us , I planned to let her cook and just watch 🙂
Shrimp or Prawn in Tomato and Red Chilly sauce is a common recipe in most households in Kerala who have shrimp or prawn, also called as “Chemeen Molagitadu” in my native language which literally means Shrimp in tomato chilly sauce !This easy to make curry goes very well with rice or rotis . Using Kashmiri Chilly powder in this recipe gives the curry the bright red color .Especially for people who cannot take in much spice , this is a good alternative as it is milder than the regular chilly powder and gives a good color to the curry. The taste of sweet tomatoes , with a little tangy tamarind and spice of the red chilly powder makes the curry very irresistible and I would highly recommend this dish if you have not tried it before.Please read on for the full recipe .
Shrimp in Tomato and Red chilly sauce
Spicy and delicious shrimp in tomato chilly sauce goes well with lunch or dinner and with rice or rotis or wheat bread
- 1 lb shrimp de-veined and de-shelled
- 4-5 medium sized tomatoes cubed
- 10 shallots halved or 1/2 onion sliced
- 2 tbsp ginger cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp garlic cut into small pieces
- 4 tsp Kashmiri red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chillies
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil or coconut oil
- Take a small lemon sized tamarind ball in a cup of water.
- Squeeze and strain the tamarind juice.
- Take a deep bottomed pan and heat up the tamarind water .
- Add another cup of water.
- Add the cut shallots, green chillies, ginger , garlic and tomatoes to it.
- Add turmeric , chilly powder and salt .
- Continue cooking until well cooked .
- Add the shrimp and continue boiling until cooked.
- The consistency should be thick.
- Add the sprig of curry leaves.
- Drizzle a tbsp of vegetable or coconut oil (optional) if you like.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with rotis or rice ! Enjoy 🙂