Tomato Soup these days is easily available in stores and can be instantly made using ready made packets and cans .However, the tomato soup made from scratch using tomatoes, onions and spices tastes really different and delicious . There’s nothing more satisfying than a nice home made tomato soup and is worth making. It is also very healthy and quite simple to make. The croutons fried in butter in the soup is usually loved by kids. Please read on for this yummy recipe which can be an appetizer, starter or even a light meal or dinner by itself !
A delicious light starter or appetizer made with tomatoes and onions perfect for lunch or dinner.
It is better to use ripe or over ripe tomatoes for this recipe.
- 6 – 7 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt as required
- 7 -8 slices of bread cut into small squares
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 -2 tbsp maida or cornflour (optional) mixed in a little water
- Pressure cook the tomatoes, onions, and bay leaf with salt.
- Once cooled, remove the bay leaves and grind to a fine and smooth paste.
- Strain the ground paste into a pan using a strainer.
- Add water to the strained tomato onion paste to adjust consistency .
- Add sugar and adjust salt as desired.
- Add powered black pepper and let it simmer for a while.
- You can optionally add the cornflour or maida mixed in a little water for thicker consistency.
- In a small pan , heat butter and shallow fry the bread squares until brown and keep aside.
- Add it to the soup just before serving.
- You can also add a little fresh cream if you like.
- Serve and enjoy the yummy soup!