Today’s recipe is Vegetable Puffs ,mixed vegetables cooked with spices and then baked with pastry sheets .It tastes awesome and one of our favorite snacks at home .They are also fun to make. It is a great starter or appetizer at potlucks and parties and loved by kids and people of all ages.Using the store bought frozen pastry sheet (I used pepperidge farm brand) makes the cooking process much simpler. The filling in the puff can be anything of your choice . I used boiled potatoes, carrots and peas mixed with spices . Once the filling is cooked and ready, the thawed sheets can be cut and rolled into rectangular shapes .A spoon or two of the vegetable filling is spread on the individual rectangular sheet , the sides are pressed lightly with fingers to close and then baked till browned. They taste great with ketchup or chutney . Hope you enjoyed reading about it and will give it a try if you haven’t already done so ! Happy baking 🙂
A delicious appetizer based on Indian cuisine and perfect for parties and potlucks.
- 1 pastry sheet thawed
- 2 boiled potato medium sized mashed
- 1 carrot diced and boiled
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1/2 onion finely cut
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala
- a pinch of amchur(dry mango) powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 a lemon squeezed
- Thaw the pastry sheets and bring them to room temperature.
- Boil the potatoes and mash them well.
- Boil carrots, peas and mix them with the mashed potatoes.
- Heat oil in the pan and splutter cumin seeds.
- Add the diced onions, green chillies and ginger paste and sauté well.
- Add all the spices in the ingredients section to the veggies along with salt and mix well.
- Next add the boiled and mashed potatoes, carrots , peas and mix thoroghly.
- Add chopped coriander leaves .
- Squeeze half a lemon into it and mix well.
- The filling is now ready .wait for it to cool.
- Roll the thawed sheets uniformly and cut into rectangle shapes.
- Spoon the filling of mixed vegetables.
- Seal the puffs , use water if required to seal.
- Arrange the puffs in a baking tray .
- Brush a little butter or oil on top of the puffs (optional).
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 deg Fahrenheit
- Bake the puffs for 25 minutes or until it is browned.
- Cool the puffs on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes.
- Enjoy the delicious vegetable puffs with some tomato ketchup!