Tapioca Pearl – Sago fritters more commonly called ‘Sabudana Vada ‘ is a delicious deep fried snack which I got introduced to couple of years back .I was intrigued by some of the awesome pictures online during the festive season recently and had the urge to try making it at home . I usually use sago to make ‘sago khichadi ‘ (pilaf) and always have stock of it at home . I was a bit hesitant to try making the fritters at first, as I was not sure how it would turn out , whether it would hold up well or crumble while frying . After watching couple of recipes and instructions online , I got to making it .I was surprised that it was quite easy to make and tasted awesome as well! Tapioca is a rich source of dietary fiber, “good cholesterol” and protein and has many more vitamins and minerals. It is considered a favorite of many vegetarians as it is a pure starch food that is high in protein in spite of being a vegetable.Hope you are inspired to attempt making this dish if you have not already tried it! Enjoy 🙂
Sabudana Vada(Pearl Sago Fritters)
A spicy and delicious appetizer based on Indian cuisine made with tapioca or sago pearls , potato , spices and perfect for parties and potlucks.
- 3 cups sago washed and soaked for 3 – 4 hrs
- 1 big potato boiled and mashed
- 1 cup roasted and powdered peanuts
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 green chilies finely cut
- 1 inch ginger finely cut
- Juice of 1 lemon squeezed
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 tsp garam masala (optional)
- Wash sago thoroughly with cold water to remove all the starch .
- Soak it with just enough water (1/4 inch above sago ) for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain the soaked sago into a colander and squeeze out all the water.
- Add cumin , chopped green chilies, ginger, mashed potatoes, roasted and powdered groundnuts, salt , garam masala and combine it together.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Mash well ,it is okay to have some sago which is not mashed.
- Squeeze lemon juice into this mixture.
- Make small round patties and flatten them.
- Heat up oil in a pan.
- Deep fry the patties until it gets a nice golden brown color.
- Serve with chutney or ketchup.
- Enjoy the delicious sago fritters with your evening tea!