The long beans coconut stir-fry also called ‘Payar Thoran’ in my native language is a very simple , easy dish and just needs a handful of ingredients namely long beans, onions, green chillies , curry leaves and shredded coconut .It’s a personal preference to add turmeric and can be added if required. The simple and few ingredients makes this dish taste really good. This is normally a common dish in almost every household in my home town with probably a slight variation to the spices like addition of garlic and dried red chillies as ingredients.Other variations are in the different ways the long beans are cut, some prefer to cut it an inch long . I usually prefer to cut it into really small pieces.Long beans can be easily found in any Asian grocery.It is a great option for vegetarians and goes well as a side dish with rice or rotis.
Payar Thoran(stir fried long beans with coconut)
A delicious stir fry vegetarian dish made with long beans and shredded coconut, recipe based on Indian cuisine and perfectly goes with rice or rotis .
- 1/2 onion diced
- A bunch of longbeans cut into small pieces
- 3 – 4 Thai green chillies
- 3/4 cup of shredded coconut(fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 4-5 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan , add mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter
- Add onions, green chillies and sautée for a while
- Next add the shredded coconut ,turmeric powder(if using) and sautée again
- Finally add the long beans and salt and keep frying till it wilts a little
- Add salt to taste and about a quarter cup water
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes
- Keep checking from time to time and make sure not to burn or overcook it
- Finally add the curry leaves and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Switch off flame , long beans stir fry is ready to be served !