This is a rice dish made pre-dominantly with mint and coriander and so I aptly named it “Green pulav”. I first heard of this dish from a friend many years ago , but did not bother to attempt making it as I thought my kids may get put off by the color of the dish. However when I recently saw posts of this dish by two of of my fellow bloggers, Jyo and Ramya (The links on their names will take you to their recipes as well) who have wonderful blogs with amazing recipes, I got inspired to give it a try .I was very pleased with the outcome and sure enough, it was loved by all at home .It is also quite simple to make .I made very minor changes to the original recipe and here is my version of this very aromatic and yummy dish:). One can also get creative and add paneer (cottage cheese), potatoes or corn to this dish to make it even more interesting !
- 2 cups of Basmati Rice
- 1 cup of chopped coriander
- 1 cup of mint leaves
- 3 -4 medium sized garlic pods
- 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- 1/2 cup peas
- 4 green chillies
- 3-4 cloves
- 1/2 inch stick of cinnamon
- 4 teaspoon ghee or Clarified Butter
- 4 tsp oil
- 5-6 cardamoms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala or biryani masala (optional)
- salt per taste
- water 3 cups
- Make a paste of coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chillies , coconut , cinnamon , cloves and garlic with a little water.
- Heat ghee and oil in an instant pot or rice cooker.
- Add cardamom and bay leaves.
- Add the mustard, cumin , onions, green paste and sauteè well.
- Add fresh or frozen green peas
- Next add the washed rice ,fry for about 10 minutes.
- Add biryani masala or garam masala (optional)
- Add salt and 3 cups of water and cook until done.
- Garnish with chopped coriander or mint leaves.
- Green Pulav is ready. Serve with yogurt salad and papad (fritters). Enjoy!