Hello all! I am here today with yet another chicken dish . This is a very delicious and popular dish usually served as an appetizer in Indo-Chinese restaurants back home . It is basically battered fried chicken in a reduced gravy made with soy sauce , chili garlic sauce, green chillies ,bell pepper, ginger, garlic , scallions (green onions) and other sauces. The chillies and bell pepper along with the chicken are the main ingredients and so it obviously got its name “Chili Chicken” from that .Some prefer the dry version of this dish and others like a little more sauce and this can be easily adjusted according to one’s liking while preparing the sauce.I made the dry version.I was never a big fan of chicken growing up , but this particular dish has a very strong , unique flavor and subdues the “non vegetarian” taste and I took an instant liking to it! This was also one of the dishes I missed when I moved away from home and nothing matched the taste of the Desi style Indo-chinese Chili chicken that we get back home . I went through a couple of recipes and added a couple of tweaks to my liking .It is very simple to make and tastes simply awesome.Please read on for the full recipe , I would highly recommend you try this and would love to hear how you like it. Vegetarians could substitute chicken with paneer (cottage cheese), tofu or cauliflower and enjoy it as well !
Indian Chili Chicken
A spicy and delicious appetizer based on Indo-Chinese cuisine made with battered fried chicken and coated with reduced gravy made with soy, ginger garlic and chilli.
- 1 pound organic boneless chicken cut into small bite sized pieces
- oil 4 tbsp
- 1 tbsp All purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Corn flour
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Ching’s chili chicken powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- salt to taste
- 4 spring onions or scallions (Set aside the ends for garnish)
- 3 – 4 green chillies (adjust as needed)
- 10 garlic finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper diced into cubes
- 1/2 red onion diced into cubes
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (Ching’s dark )
- 1 tbsp Chilli garlic sauce
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 2 tsp water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp Ching’s Chili chicken powder (optional)
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tsp Julienne cut ginger
- green ends of spring onions
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces
- Make a batter of the ingredients in the batter section
- Mix the chicken well into the batter and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours
- Next, heat a pan with oil and either deep fry or shallow fry in batches and make sure it is cooked well.
- Drain on to a paper towel.
- For the sauce, heat oil in a shallow pan and add the white part of the spring onions
- Next add the garlic,ginger, green chilies, bell peppers and onions
- Add a little water and boil and let it simmer
- Add the corn flour water mix and wait till it thickens
- Add the Ching’s chili chicken powder if using (optional)
- Once the gravy is thick mix the fried chicken and make sure it is coated well
- Garnish with ginger, green onions and white sesame seeds
- Serve with rice or noodles, enjoy!
If you enjoy reading my posts , please follow InspiresN on the social Media links below:
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/Inspiresn-166497800572964/
Google plus : https://plus.google.com/106333078300904451499
Twitter : https://twitter.com/inspiresn2/
Have a good day!