A Plain cupcake recipe is a must-have for any baker and is very simple to make. Vanilla cupcake is a favorite at my home and my kids get excited whenever I make them. Last week, I had posted a recipe for the chocolate cupcake and it was not long before they asked for some vanilla ones as well.
I keep experimenting every time I am baking, and this time I tried a recipe that uses egg whites and substitutes the yellow and fatty part with sour cream and full-fat milk. It turned out really light and moist. Although these cupcakes taste good without any frosting, if you really like you can try frosting with whipped cream frosting, meringue frosting, or buttercream frosting. They all taste awesome.
Cupcakes need no occasion to be made and baking them fills your home with wonderful aroma and fragrance and of course joyful memories. Enjoy!
Plain Cupcake recipe - Tips for making Vanilla Cupcake with egg whites
- Eggs, milk, and sour cream have to be at room temperature.
- Fill the cup liners up to two thirds full.
- Use the middle rack for baking.
- Expect the batter to be thick.
- Cake flour can be replaced with all-purpose flour and cornstarch.(From the quantity of all-purpose flour mentioned, remove 2 tbsp of it and replace with 2 tbsp corn starch and whisk to mix well)
- Vanilla bean seeds are optional but recommended for good flavor
Simple Plain Vanilla Cupcake with egg whites a delicious vanilla cupcake that is light,moist ,soft and perfect treat for your loved ones.
- 1 ¾ cup cake flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 large egg whites at room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla bean seeds scraped, optional)
- ½ cup whole milk or half and half at room temperature
- ½ cup full fat sour cream at room temperature
Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
Line the cupcake liners in a muffin tray.
Combine and whisk all the dry ingredients in one bowl.
Using a stand mixer, beat the butter on high speed for 2 mins until smooth and creamy.
Add the sugar and beat on high for 3 mins until mixed well, keep scraping the batter from the sides into the bowl using a spatula.
Add the egg-whites and vanilla extract and vanilla beans(if using) and beat on medium until combined
.Add the sour cream and beat till combined.
Now at low speed, add the dry ingredients in two additions until just incorporated.
Finally, add the milk with the mixer running on low and do not over mix.
You can use a spatula or whisk and make sure it is mixed well with no lumps as the batter will be quite thick.
Pour the batter into the muffin tray with cupcake liner sheets two-thirds full.
Bake for about 19 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool cupcakes in the pan for 10 minutes and later on a cooling rack until cooled.
Frost it with buttercream , meringue or chocolate cream frosting and serve with sliced strawberries or ice cream!