Broken Rice pudding (Matta Rice payasam) is a very delicious dessert and a popular dish prepared during festivals, celebrations and special occasions at home and even served as ‘prasadam'(food of religious offering) in Temples.This sweet treat is usually loved by everyone. The broken rice pudding also called “matta rice paysam” or “ambalapuzha payasam ” is a kind of rice pudding which uses the broken red rice (See here) and this particular rice imparts a very distinct flavor to the pudding. This is also one of the easiest desserts to make especially if you have guests and are in a time crunch, as all you do is pressure cook the rice, add milk , sugar with a little powdered cardamom and keep boiling it till you get a desired consistency.If you use the tinned sweetened condensed milk ,the job is even easier you can use it in place of milk and sugar. However if you like to use only whole milk that is fine too.Continue heating on low flame and wait until the milk is reduced to half or until it thickens to your desired consistency. Some prefer to add a combination of milk and condensed milk as well.Garnish with dry fruits and nuts fried in clarified butter and viola you are done!
Broken rice Payasam
A delicious dessert made with milk, sugar and broken rice and loved by all.
Condensed milk is optional , if you use sweetened condensed milk then the sugar can be omitted or adjusted as per your liking.
- 1 cup of broken red rice
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (optional)
- 11/2 cup sugar (or desired quantity)
- 5-6 cardamom powdered
- 10 cashews
- 10 raisins
- 2tsp ghee or clarified butter
- Heat ghee in a pan and and roast the cashews and raisins until golden brown.
- Keep aside the roasted dry fruits for garnish.
- Pressure cook the washed rice with water for about 2 whistles
- Once the steam is released, add milk and sugar to the cooked rice.
- Keep boiling until it thickens or until you get the desired consistency.
- You can substitute the sugar and milk with a can of sweetened condensed milk if you like to get a rich consistency and taste.(I normally use milk and sugar ).
- Garnish with cashews and raisins . Enjoy:)