Cutlets are delicious appetizers and starters and a popular snack at parties , potlucks and get togethers. I got introduced to beetroot in cutlets only a couple of years ago.At my home ,my mother usually made it with potatoes and other veggies .I was in fact skeptical how beets would taste in a cutlet, but I was in for surprise when I first tasted it as it was simply out of the world. You can also get a gorgeous deep red or maroon-ish color if you add a little more beet.The patty also has carrots , potatoes and peas along with grated beets which makes it healthy.If you are concerned about it being deep fried, you could bake or shallow fry the patties with a little oil.They can be even frozen for later and used in fillings when making sandwiches or rolls.So hope I have convinced you try these delicious cutlets and do let me know what you think! Happy cooking!
Beetroot Veggie Cutlet
A spicy and delicious appetizer based on Indian cuisine made with beets , potato , carrots , peas spices , bread crumbs and perfect for parties and potlucks.
- 3 big potato boiled and mashed
- 2 small beets grated and steamed
- 1 carrot grated and steamed
- 1/2 cup boiled peas
- 1/2 onion finely cut
- 1 inch ginger finely cut
- 4 green chillies finely cut
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1/4 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 1 tsp of cumin and fennel seeds powdered
For the paste of patty covering
- 3 tbsp corn flour powder
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water or juice from steamed beets squeezed.
- 1 cup of plain bread crumbs and some extra to roll
- Boil the potatoes and peas.
- Steam the grated beets and carrots.
- In a large bowl add the boiled potatoes and mash them well.
- Add cooked peas to the potatoes and mix well.
- Steam the grated beets and carrot and squeeze out excess water used later in step 9
- Add onions, green chilies, ginger, beets, carrots, bread crumbs , salt and spices to the mashed potato peas mixture and combine well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well and make round or oval shaped patties.
- Make a paste of cornflour , all purpose flour , beet juice and water which should have a medium runny consistency just enough to coat the patties .
- Roll the coated patties in the bread crumbs
- Heat up oil in a pan.
- Deep fry the patties until it is well done .
- Serve with chutney or ketchup! Enjoy 🙂