Cutlets are delicious appetizers and starters and a popular snack at parties , potlucks and get togethers. I got introduced to beetroot in cutlets only a couple of years ago.At my home ,my mother usually made it with potatoes and other veggies .I was in fact skeptical how beets would taste in a cutlet, but I was in for surprise when I first tasted it as it was simply out of the world. You can also get a gorgeous deep red or maroon-ish color if you add a little more beet.The patty also has carrots , potatoes and peas along with grated beets which makes it healthy.If you are concerned about it being deep fried, you could bake or shallow fry the patties with a little oil.They can be even frozen for later and used in fillings when making sandwiches or rolls.So hope I have convinced you try these delicious cutlets and do let me know what you think! Happy cooking!
Beetroot Veggie Cutlet
A spicy and delicious appetizer based on Indian cuisine made with beets , potato , carrots , peas spices , bread crumbs and perfect for parties and potlucks.
3 big potato boiled and mashed
2 small beets grated and steamed
1 carrot grated and steamed
1/2 cup boiled peas
- 1/2 onion finely cut
1 inch ginger finely cut
4 green chillies finely cut
Salt to taste
1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
1/4 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 1 tsp of cumin and fennel seeds powdered
For the paste of patty covering
- 3 tbsp corn flour powder
3 tbsp all purpose flour
3/4 cup water or juice from steamed beets squeezed.
- 1 cup of plain bread crumbs and some extra to roll
- Boil the potatoes and peas.
- Steam the grated beets and carrots.
In a large bowl add the boiled potatoes and mash them well.
Add cooked peas to the potatoes and mix well.
Steam the grated beets and carrot and squeeze out excess water used later in step 9
Add onions, green chilies, ginger, beets, carrots, bread crumbs , salt and spices to the mashed potato peas mixture and combine well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
Mix well and make round or oval shaped patties.
- Make a paste of cornflour , all purpose flour , beet juice and water which should have a medium runny consistency just enough to coat the patties .
- Roll the coated patties in the bread crumbs
- Heat up oil in a pan.
- Deep fry the patties until it is well done .
- Serve with chutney or ketchup! Enjoy 🙂