White layered cake is a perfect and delicious cake to bake on a special occasion. With the combination of whipped cream frosting and fresh strawberries, it tastes heavenly and simply out of the world! This cake uses egg whites only. Sour cream and milk are added to compensate for the fat of the yolk.I used cake flour for this recipe as it tends to make the cake light and moist. The cake should be completely cooled before frosting.
Tips to make White layered cake with Whipped cream frosting
Poking holes in the cake and adding a little sugar syrup (made by boiling water and sugar in a 2:1 ratio and then cooling) is a good trick that I learned to get a moist cake. To be honest, this was the first time I was using homemade whipped cream frosting and I didn't have the turntable which makes it easier to frost and coat the cake evenly but still managed without much mess :). It is important to freeze the whisk attachments and bowl before making the whipped cream frosting. Do not overbeat and stop at the right time. The best way to know if it is done is to turn the bowl with the whipped cream upside down and it should just stay and not flop down.
Finally taste-wise, the outcome was simply awesome. I guess a lot of love and patience went into the baking and so the great results! This recipe is adapted from Sallysbakingaddictions. Hope you enjoy baking this as much as I did!
White layered cake
A delicious layered white cake that is light,moist ,soft with whipped cream frosting and strawberries.
- Eggs, milk and sour cream has to be at room temperature.
- Cake flour can be replaced with all purpose flour and cornstarch .(From the quantity of all purpose flour mentioned ,remove 2 tbsp of it and replace with 2 tbsp corn starch and whisk to mix well)
- 2 and ½ cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup (1 and half sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 cup powdered confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
DirectionsCake preparation and Baking
- Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Whisk the dry ingredients cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Beat the butter on high speed using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until smooth and creamy for about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until creamed together.
- Scrape down the sides to the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Add the egg whites. Beat on high speed until combined for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Beat in the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients with low speed on the mixer, mix until it is just incorporated.
- Slowly pour in the milk until combined, the mixer should still be running on low.
- Do not over mix.
- Whisk it by hand to make sure there are no lumps at the bottom of the bowl.
- The batter will be slightly thick.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans using measuring cups if required.
- Bake for around 25 - 30 minutes or until the cakes are baked through.
- Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, it is done.
- Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans and set on a wire rack.
- The cakes must be completely cool before frosting and assembling.
Whipped Cream Frosting
- Freeze or refrigerate the bowl and whisk attachments used in the frosting preparation.You can also use a bigger bowl with ice cubes underneath the bowl in which frosting is being prepared as shown in the picture below.
- Beat the heavy whipping cream on medium speed for about 10 to 12 minutes till it gets thicker or until small spikes are formed.
- Add the confectioner's sugar, vanilla extract and sour cream and keep beating on medium and then high till it gets stiff peaks .
- Yummy whipped cream frosting is ready, Use immediately or store in a refrigerator for using later.
Cake Assembly and Serving
- To assemble the cake ,using a serrated knife cut the dome portion of the cakes and poke it with holes.
- Sprinkle sugar solution ( 1:2 sugar and water boiled and cooled ) for creating moist cakes.(optional).
- Frost the cut portion of one cake and let the extra frosting spill to the sides so that you can coat it.
- Place the other cake on top of the frosted cake upside down so the flat potion is on the top.
- Coat the frosting on the top and spread evenly along the sides.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries ,sliced almonds, sprinkles and anything else you like.
- Slice and serve with extra frosting or ice cream . Enjoy!