Basil pesto sauce is a very rich , colorful and flavorful sauce .Using Basil in your diet has many awesome advantages .Did you know basil has excellent antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties.It also has phytochemicals to prevent cancer, helps aid digestion ,glowing skin and has ingredients that naturally decreases stress.It not only tastes good but helps your body in many ways. Pesto sauce was in my list of things to make ever since my potted organic basil plant was ready for harvest.
It is a very simple sauce to make and tastes much better than the ready made store bought ones.It is also very versatile and goes well with so many varieties of dishes be it a pizza , sandwich, bruschetta , hummus, fried rice or pasta ! This is an uncooked sauce and can be made in bulk and stored for later use. I used almonds in this sauce as I had them handy , the traditional recipe calls for pine nuts . Some others also use walnuts as well.The other ingredients are parmesan cheese, garlic , olive oil , lemon juice , salt and pepper. Do try it out and be ready to get some accolades from your guests. I would love to hear if you have any favorite recipes using pesto . Till next time , happy cooking!
A delicious sauce made with basil , parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil and nuts which is a great accompaniment in pizza, pasta, sandwiches and many more dishes!
- 2 cups basil leaves origin
- 1/3 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Add the basil leaves, olive oil, almonds, garlic, parmesan cheese into a blender or food processor and blend well.
Once the paste is smooth, transfer the contents to a bowl.
Add lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix well.
Transfer to a jar and store in the refrigerator for a week or freeze for about 3 months and use as needed.
Pesto sauces in some recipes:
- To make bruschetta , spread some sauce on the french bread slices topped with chopped tomatoes, onions, mozarella and parmesan cheese and bake at 400 deg till the cheese melts.
- To make spaghetti, cook spaghetti in boiling water , drain and cool. Stir fry your choice of veggies, tomatoes, garlic in olive oil .Add the pesto sauce and mix the spaghetti into it.
- To make sandwiches, layer the breads with pesto sauce, sliced vegetables, cheese, pepper,salt .