Seven Cup Barfi (Fudge)

Seven Cup Barfi is a delicious sweet fudge . One bite into it ,and the flavors just exude out and tastes out of the world. If you have a sweet tooth ,this fudge is definitely irresistible and hard to stop having at one.This is one of the popular sweets made during festivals ,especially Diwali. It most definitely got it’s name due to the ingredients used, each of it measuring up to seven cups in this recipe . Isn’t it a cool and easy way to remember the quantity of ingredients used in a recipe.Although I have had it before , I only recently got to know of how to make this sweet fudge from a friend.

It is also supposed to be one of the easiest fudges to make . Folks who are new to making Indian sweets ,are not usually comfortable when the recipe calls for a one string consistency of sugar solution in preparation of sweets . In this recipe however, you don’t need the one string sugar syrup consistency! So any beginner who likes to make sweets can also try this out confidently and be proud of the outcome.

What are the seven cup ingredients that the fudge is made up of ?

The ingredients that make the seven cups are a cup of cashew powder, a cup of gram flour , a cup of coconut (fresh or desiccated), a cup of ghee, a cup of milk and two cups of sugar .You can literally put all the ingredients in the pan at once and cook for about 45 minutes or until the whole thing comes together as a dough. However ,I prefer to first add the gram flour and ghee in the pan and whisk it for a few minutes just so it forms a smooth paste and has no lumps .Later I add the rest of the ingredients. Finally , set the contents in a container lined with wax paper and ghee .Use the back of the spoon or spatula to even out the top layer . It is better to wait for about twenty minutes for it to cool, before cutting into desired shapes.

Use a clean knife dipped in hot water and wipe it clean , to cut it into neat squares . The fudge can be stored in the refrigerator for a few weeks .The taste gets even better with time. The combination of cashew, coconut and gram flour along with the hint of cardamom is just mind blowing and can satisfy one’s sweet craving. As already mentioned, this is one of the most simplest fudge to make .The main effort is stirring the contents till it all comes together. This may take about a good 45 to 50 minutes .

Seven Cup Barfi (Fudge)
Prep Time
1 hr 10 mins
Cook Time
45 mins

A delicious and irresistible fudge made with cashew powder , gram flour, coconut ,milk,ghee and sugar all amounting to seven cups !

Course: Dessert
Cuisine: Indian
Ingredients
  • 1 cup cashew powder
  • 1 cup gram flour (chick pea flour) Besan in Hindi
  • 1 cup grated coconut fresh or dessiccated
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup ghee (clarified butter)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 tsp green cardamom powder
Instructions
  1. Heat up a heavy bottomed flat pan .

2. Add ghee and gram flour and whisk till it is mixed well with no lumps.

3. Add all the other ingredients mentioned.

4. Keep stirring continuously on medium heat , until it starts to form a dough and start releasing from the sides.

5. Add cardamom powder to the dough and mix well.

6. Transfer the dough into a container lined with wax paper and ghee .Press it firmly with the back of a spoon to even out the surface to get a smooth fudge.

7. Wait for the fudge to cool in the container for about 20 minutes.

8. Cut into desired shapes using a knife that is clean .To get neat edges ,you can try dipping it in hot water and wiping the knife before cutting.

9. Store the fudge in an air tight container for about few weeks .

Some of things to keep in mind while making this fudge is to use a heavy bottom pan. This will prevent the fudge from sticking to the bottom of the pan .Use medium high heat while stirring . Do not over cook the dough as it might result in the fudge turning hard. Line wax paper coated with ghee in a glass container for setting the fudge . This will help release the pieces easily after being cut.

Hope you enjoy making ad having this sweet fudge .If you liked this fudge, you may also enjoy the Milk peda and Coconut Fudge which are different types of fudges that I posted earlier . Do check them out .Have a good day!

sunisanthosh
    September 2, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Oh this is a delicious recipe friend !! 💕

September 2, 2020 at 6:17 pm

Thank you Suni, it indeed is yum. Hope you get to try it sometime.

Ronit
    September 2, 2020 at 6:21 pm

This looks tasty and worth trying!
    Is gram flour the same as chickpea flour?

September 2, 2020 at 6:34 pm

Yes , Ronit this fudge is loved by most folks and is definitely worth trying .Great question, I think chickpea flour and gram flour are sometimes interchangeably used . It is also popularly called as ‘besan’ in Hindi. I will update the recipe list with chickpea flour in brackets to avoid confusion. Thank you so much!

Deeksha
    September 2, 2020 at 6:26 pm

Nisha, adding cashew powder is such a great idea! I love this burfi a lot, easy preparation and it is so tasty that it gets over very fast!!

September 2, 2020 at 6:39 pm

Yes totally agree Deeksha, cashew flavor is loved by most folks especially kids . One of the easiest to make and disappears in no time 🙂 .Thank you so much!

almeidadepaulo
    September 3, 2020 at 12:02 am

It sounds delicious, Nisha!!!

Sivaranjani Rajendran
    September 3, 2020 at 3:54 am

This traditional recipe is in my to do list for long time. You made me tempting with your stunning pictures 🙂

September 4, 2020 at 1:47 pm

Thank you so much Sivaranjani for stopping by and the wonderful comments. I am glad to hear that this post reminded you of your to-do list to make this.Hope to see your preparation soon as well!

Caz / InvisiblyMe
    September 3, 2020 at 4:02 pm

You got me at ‘one of the easiest fudges to make’ 😉 I LOVE these photos, mmmmm. I adore fudge but haven’t had it in ages. I wouldn’t have thought of making it myself but I’d be keen to give it a go. I wouldn’t have imagined coconut in it, do you think you can taste this much? It’s a fantastic recipe, Nisha! xx

September 3, 2020 at 6:37 pm

It’s quite simple to make Caz except for the stirring till it becomes a mass of dough .You can skip or reduce the coconut if you like and reduce a bit of sugar and it will still taste good. Although I love the coconut flavor in it and you cannot really taste it too much .

Holly
    September 4, 2020 at 2:23 am

This is awesome, Nisha! I can’t imagine the flavors, but the way you describe them sounds Heavenly! I love discovering new dishes from you. It’s fascinating to learn of new cultures and ways of cooking. Yum! Your directions are amazing too. It looks like a very doable recipe to make. I like that a lot!

How dense and heavy would you say this is? Many of the fudges I’ve had were thick, heavy, and dense. This looks almost as if it has a cake-like consistency? I’d love to hear your thoughts. 🙂

Thank you for sharing yet another incredible dessert, my friend. I’ve shared so others can enjoy too! ♥

September 4, 2020 at 1:37 pm

So happy to hear that you enjoyed this post Holly. I can imagine this must be really new to you .We have so many different desserts from different states in India , each having their own specialties and am still exploring them as well.The seven cup fudge is not too dense and thick, yet not too soft like cake either. It is a little on the brittle side, still soft when you bite it .The dominant flavors are the gram flour, cashew powder and a little tinge of coconut .The combined flavors gives it the magical taste . Many Thanks for sharing this dessert, truly appreciate it.Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

Holly
        September 10, 2020 at 2:22 pm

Oh wow, such a perfect and vivid description. Thank you, Nisha! It is truly my pleasure to share your posts, my friend. You are a special person! ❤

September 10, 2020 at 2:51 pm

You are very welcome Holly.Have a great day ! Always a pleasure to hear from you .

The Karavali Wok
    September 4, 2020 at 6:28 pm

Absolutely delicious burfis Nisha ! It’s one of the first ever sweets that I learnt to make from Mom and it’s still my favorite!

September 4, 2020 at 7:14 pm

That’s wonderful Smitha , Glad to hear it is your favorite .It’s a favorite at our home as well.Thank you for stopping by!