Fried Ghee Rice or “Neyy Chor” as it is called back home is a traditional dish in Southern India and prepared during special and festive occasions .Ghee is nothing but clarified butter . You can reduce the quantity of ghee and substitute with vegetable oil just so that you just get the flavor of it. This is again a very simple dish, with very simple ingredients and has the most wonderful aroma and taste ! Hope you try this recipe and like it .Enjoy 🙂
Fried Ghee Rice
A popular and aromatic rice dish recipe based on Indian cuisine in Kerala and perfectly goes with any entree or side dish
Its preferable to use Basmati rice although other varieties of raw rice can be used .
- 2 cups of Basmati Rice
- 3 teaspoon ghee or Clarified Butter
- 4 tsp oil
- 3-4 cloves
- 1/2 inch stick of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 an onion diced
- salt per taste
- Water 3 cups.
- 1 onion sliced length wise and thin
- 10 cashews and raisins fried in ghee
- Wash the rice, drain and keep aside
- Heat a thick bottomed pan , add the ghee and oil
- Add the thin sliced onions and fry until crisp golden brown .Drain and keep aside.
- Add the cashews and raisins ,brown it as well.Drain and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil, add the spices and diced onions and saute for about 2 mins
- Next add the washed rice
- Fry for about 5 to 7 mins until the rice turns opaque
- Add the salt and water and cook until done in a rice cooker
- Transfer the cooked rice into a serving bowl and garnish with fried onions,cashews and raisins.
- Ghee rice can be eaten with any entree, curried dish or vegetable or chicken stew.