Fried Ghee Rice or “Neyy Chor” as it is called back home is a traditional dish in Southern India and prepared during special and festive occasions .Ghee is nothing but clarified butter . You can reduce the quantity of ghee and substitute with vegetable oil just so that you just get the flavor of it. This is again a very simple dish, with very simple ingredients and has the most wonderful aroma and taste ! Hope you try this recipe and like it .Enjoy 🙂
Fried Ghee Rice
Its preferable to use Basmati rice although other varieties of raw rice can be used .
- 2 cups of Basmati Rice
- 3 teaspoon ghee or Clarified Butter
- 4 tsp oil
- 3-4 cloves
- 1/2 inch stick of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 an onion diced
- salt per taste
- Water 3 cups.
- 1 onion sliced length wise and thin
- 10 cashews and raisins fried in ghee
- Wash the rice, drain and keep aside
- Heat a thick bottomed pan , add the ghee and oil
- Add the thin sliced onions and fry until crisp golden brown .Drain and keep aside.
- Add the cashews and raisins ,brown it as well.Drain and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil, add the spices and diced onions and saute for about 2 mins
- Next add the washed rice
- Fry for about 5 to 7 mins until the rice turns opaque
- Add the salt and water and cook until done in a rice cooker
- Transfer the cooked rice into a serving bowl and garnish with fried onions,cashews and raisins.
- Ghee rice can be eaten with any entree, curried dish or vegetable or chicken stew.